Friday, July 2, 2010

NOT POLITICS... I WANT ACTION, MAN!

Not a lot to blog about today in the world of cricket as far as cricket goes... there's a lot of politics for those who are interested. I have read numerous blogs about the John Howard issue, numerous articles by esteemed writers (the latest one joining the bandwagon was Harsha Bhogle) and numerous other news reports and bulletins.

But I am getting weary of it now. Just choose someone, man... anyone! If he is good at his job, this blog will appreciate it. If he is bad, this blog will be critical. And well, if he is ugly... it will be nothing short of castration! So I have no option but to turn my sights to the FIFA World Cup and the Wimbledon... both tournaments towards their business ends!

FIFA WORLD CUP:

Two quarterfinals today... Brazil v Netherlands followed by Uruguay v Ghana.
Two quarterfinals tomorrow... Argentina v Germany and Paraguay v Spain.

My three pre-tournament favourites all feature in the last eight... Argentina, Spain and the Netherlands. I am not sure how many will progress to the last 4! I do have a feeling that the Netherlands might just edge past the Samba boys today... I guess I am feeling a bit too adventurous! And yes, it would be nice to see Ghana winning today. The reason is that I really want to see their striker Asamoah Gyan in action again (I found him extremely impressive!)... and since he is likely to sit out today due to his ankle injury, the only chance I will get to see him again soon is if Ghana win today!

WIMBLEDON:

The men's singles semi-finals today... 12th seed Tomas Berdych (the Federer conqueror) v 3rd seed Novak Djokovic... and then what should be a cracker between the 4th seed Andy Murray (the local hope of the Wimbledon staying in Britain for the first time since 1936) v 2nd seed Rafael Nadal (the World No. 1 and my favourite)!

Then there is the women's singles final tomorrow... top seed Serena Williams v the 12th seed Vera Zvonareva in what I expect to be another walk-in-the-park for the American! How many Grand Slam titles does Serena want to end up having... she'll need more space in her house! But Zvonareva must be one happy girl... she is alive in the Women's Singles as well as Doubles draw. In fact, as I write this, her Women's doubles semi - final match has just commenced on the No. 1 Court.

Then there's also the Mixed Doubles draw where an Indian has still kept his hopes alive... Leander Paes with his Zimbabwean partner Cara Black as the 2nd seeded pair will play their semi - final match today against 9th seed Czech pair of Lukas Dlouhy (Paes' Men's Doubles partner) and Iveta Benesova.


It should be a good day with so much of sporting action packed together. A minimum of 3 hours of football and a lot many more hours of quality tennis with some of my favourite sportsmen in action (Nadal, Paes, Kaka, Robben, Kuyt, Sneijder, and hopefully the new one Gyan as well)...

3 comments:

Cricket Schedule said...

If someone has to win then surely it has to be either Germany or Netherland. If Brazil keep winning the world cup then surely interest in football would reduced (similar to Auses winning ICC Cup every 4 years).

Indian Cricket Blog said...

Well, I support Argentine now for World Cup after sad exit of Brazil :(

Unknown said...

Argentina has my support as well...

I'd love to see a Netherlands v Argentina final...

SAVE OUR TIGER!